Rubik Glitched – Experiment
As part of the Digital Culture Class i experimented with glitching different digital file formats. For me the OTF-Format was the most interesting to play with. The outcome of my experiments was very different. Sometimes the Font was still legible and sometimes it was totally destroyed. So i got the idea to have a glitch font with two or three styles that vary in legibility. I decided to use the Font Rubik which is published under the Open Font License (OFL).
- Hexplode the original file of the rubik font in different ways.
- Search for glitches and collect them.
- Curate the glitched characters to three different fonts that vary in legibility (i always tried to pick the most extreme and interesting glitches).
- Create new fonts/styles from the glitched characters with the App Glyphs (a lot of copy and paste...).
- Exporting... Converting to Woff... Put them on the Webpage... Done!
Check out my Glitch Tumblr to see the process and other glitch-experiments.
This project was accomplished during the Master Program at the Visual Communication Institute / The Basel School of Design, HGK FHNW Basel.